Gardening is a great stress buster and that is why it has become more popular these days. It helps in relieving your day-to-day stress and ample of plants and trees provide you with fresh air and more oxygen that is beneficial for your health.
Gardening gear is a must have if you are a fan of gardening. While buying gardening tools, spending more money on them will save you from the grief and money in long run. But maintaining the right condition of gardening tools over years is a tough task.
7 Tips to Keep Gardening Tools in Perfect Shape
If you own a good set of the best gardening tools, follow these easy tips to maintain and store them. Apart from normal tools, you must do regular maintenance of your best electric lawn mowers. We assure that if you follow all these tips accurately, you will definitely maintain the good shape and condition of these tools.
- Proper Storage: The best to preserve your tools is to store them in a proper way. Exposure of these tools to natural elements is their biggest enemy. Outdoor storage of these tools can ruin the wooden handles and make them rough, crack, split warp and rot over time. Sheds and garages provide good storage and protect the tools from the effect of rain, sun or wind and allows it to dry which reduce the risk of rusting. Dampening can also stiffen your tools in an irregular way.
- Keep them clean: Gardening is all about working with soil. Soil holds moisture and encourages rust. Keeping the tools clean increases their life. Keeping the tools clean stops the transfer of soil from one place to another and reduces the risk of soil-borne diseases. Clean the tools with turpentine to remove plant sap and resins. Periodic wiping of the tools maintains their original shape.
- Prevent spreading of diseases: Proper storage and proper cleaning of the tools prevent the spreading of diseases from one plant to another. Scrub the tools from a half alcohol and half water mixture and dry them properly.
- Make them sharp: Only a gardener knows the value of sharp tools. Sharper tools help you to complete your tasks quickly, easily and in a better way. Sharpening your tool is like daily flossing. Keep checking the edges of the tools. Your main motive is to maintain the original configuration of the tool. Filing is a good option for the tools that are made of soft steel.
- Oil them regularly: It is very important to oil your tools regularly. It reduces the risk of rusting. Oiling the joints of the tools properly prevents their seizing up. You can apply linseed oil with the help of a soft rug.
- Paint the handles with bright colors: Many times you forget your tools in the plants after using them. The bright colored handles of the tools can be soon from ma good distance and in this way you will be reminded of to keep them at a safe place.
- Store them in an ordered manner: It can be the easiest way to restore your tools. Start keeping them in a basket making a row. You can also label their places. Now when you will put them back you will come to know if any tool is missing.
These are the 7 ways you can keep your gardening tools in perfect shape, sharp and clean. Hope our tips will help you to keep your garden clean, keep visiting us.